Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Infamous Senior Year

The Worst:

Seniors in high school have always been stigmatized for slacking off and fooling around, especially if they’ve already been accepted into college. Unfortunately, this was exactly the case for me regarding my worst experience ever: Physics.

Mrs. R. was a kind woman, but her over exaggerated love for physics made me hate her. She grinned ear to ear when she did everything, including handing back tests that the majority of the class failed. She wasn’t mean and terrible like similar woeful stories, but just a bad teacher. I consider this my worst experience because it was when I picked up the awful habit of skipping class. Who knows, maybe I would have done better if I tried harder, I just couldn’t stand Mrs. R. and her love for tedious calculations. It was the first and only class I’ve ever failed and I’m not proud of it.

The Best:

Shockingly, I did learn something in my senior year, and even more shockingly, in a class I’m not even sure how I got into: Calculus G/T.

Mr. B. didn’t believe in homework. However, he did require that everyone show up on time every day, and most were willing to compromise. For a class with no homework assignments all year, I’ve never learned so much. Mr. B.’s sense of humor was relatable, and every Friday, we did nothing! Turns out, the joke was on me though, because at the end of the year, I walked away with straight A’s in his class, and a much deeper understanding of mathematics. It seems as if Mr. B. was a professional senior teacher; he knew exactly how much lenience and exactly how much learning he needed to provide to keep his students motivated, and he did it well. With such little effort, but such great results, I feel as if I was tricked into passing the class!

Word Counts: The Worst: 146, The Best: 137

No comments:

Post a Comment